Monday, October 18, 2010

a bunch of medical talk.

As promised [via Facebook], I'm here to update you on little Adalyn Cox.

AKA the girl who never wanted to be born.


Today I am three days over due [yep - I know for sure since we used digital ovulation tests!] so I was scheduled for a non-stress test. If you're unfamiliar with what this is, it's basically me being hooked up to a heart-rate monitor and a contraction monitor for 20 minutes to see if our baby is.. well, stressed.

Good news: She isn't!

Bad news: The electronic blood pressure cuff said my blood pressure was 135/91. Lame.

So after my NST, I had to lay on my left side for 5 minutes and get it retested. This time, it was 127/89. Still too high for their standards. I then had my regular appointment (still not dilated, over 70% effaced, and she is very low). I measured 41 weeks, and my baby is NOT posterior. HOORAH! I'll just cut to the chase and summarize it all: induction was brought up by me. I can request induction any old time I want.

Except, as you know, we wanted a completely natural, non-medicated birth.

But that was before I suddenly got high blood pressure. So we all talked about it, weighing the pros and cons. Basically, if my blood pressure stays where it is, I'll risk-out of the midwifery center. And I'll have to go to the floor above and be in the regular L&D unit. She said that, for the most part, once blood pressure gets this high this late in the game, it doesn't ever really go back down. To wait and wait for my body to finally kick in gear is kind of a risk. Because if my blood pressure gets even higher, that would be bad.

So we opted for induction on Thursday afternoon.. starting with Cervidil and moving to Pitocin on Friday morning. Note: Pitocin is something I never, ever wanted to see in my birth story. And please don't give me crap about it. We just didn't want it for OUR birth. But ultimately, her health (and mine) is most important. And high blood pressure isn't something we want to play around with. I had plenty of signs this morning that my blood pressure was high, so I expected i this afternoon.

And, after all, I still have 3 days to go into labor naturally. It could easily happen. We're hoping it happens. The only differences between the midwifery center and regular L&D are: no birthing tub, not as much freedom of being off the monitors, they'll bug me a TON more, Mark won't be able to do as much, and they'll take my kid do the nursery. But my midwife will still deliver my baby.

I'm not really bummed. Our baby is still healthy, and my pregnancy is still moving along in full swing. All is good. And, ultimately, it doesn't matter where we give birth. We just really, really wanted a very low-intervention birth for our daughter. But we don't always get what we want :]

Oh. I forgot to mention that I also had to have my reflexes tested and have my blood drawn for liver and kidney failure. They never called me back with the results, so I'm assuming I'm a-okay.

So we'll definitely be having a baby by Friday. But hopefully sooner. And hopefully with lower blood pressure.




**I'll only publish nice comments. So don't bother being a meanie! :]



15 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sad for you that things may not turn out the way you want them to. I hope that regardless of what happens, things go smoothly for you and you recover well. I'm definitely crossing my fingers that she decides to make an appearance within the next few days! Good luck, she will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Adalyn gets the memo now;) hehe I'm sorry you are having to consider induction bc I know it's not what you wanted, but maybe she'll come first...have you tried nipple stimulation? I mean I'm sure you have but just in case you haven't you should try it...it causes your body to release oxytocin which causes uterine contractions yada yada yada :p anyway speaking of nipples I was thinking about things I wished I had known and wanted to share a bit of advice...the most painful thing for me once I breast feeding took off was taking a shower...when the water hit my nipples it was escrutiating...I suggest wearing a bathing suit top when you take a shower for a while until the tenderness wears off! This was a life saver for me and when I told a friend she was like "that's the best advice ever!" so I though I'd pass it along:) good luck and remember not everything may go 100% perfect, but you will still have a perfect outcome...Adalyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! I hope she comes on her own in the next few days! I was nine days late, and that has translated to my entire life! I still like to take my time with everything! Praying for you guys...keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. :( But it's weird that they'll take her to the nursery, they'll only Take E if i ask them too. Other than that he's all mine. :) I'm really sorry about all of this. I hope she still comes on her own. You still have time. I'm still praying for my own to come on his own. Still a few day's! :) I'm sorry your bp is high. :( I wish my ppl were as concerned as yours are. They are like oh, it's ok. But they finally checked my blood and nothing seems to be showing up, so that's good. I'm going to keep you, Mark and little Miss A in my prayers. I know how you feel, and i'm pretty sure Matthew knows how Mark feels, sorta. So i promise neither of you are alone. I'm ALWAYS here for you! :) Mandy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to have Pitocin and have my water broke b/c my labor wasn't progressing; I hadn't progressed past 4 cm in 10 hours. I didn't want any meds, but it def. helped! I just hope it goes fast for you! If it hadn't have gone fast for me I don't know it I could have done it. I prayed for myself that if I couldn't handle the pain and wanted to give in to pain meds I'd be too far along to be given them & I'll pray the same for you! I know you can do it!
    And no matter what happens I'm sure you'll do wonderfully and your sweet baby will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If this happens on Thursday and not before, I know that means it isn't going to happen the way you planned it. I'm super proud of you for being willing to go that route (as a last resort of course) to keep that sweet girl safe, as well as yourself! Some Momma's would be so against that they would take that risk to proceed the way they planned, and I'm very proud of you for yet another selfless action for that sweet little girl. :)

    If Thursday does come and sweet Adalyn isn't here yet, I know God will take care of you both, and he will make sure that no matter what, bringing Adalyn into this world will be the most precious moment of your life. Praying for you, Mark, and Adalyn!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey its Rebecca..hopefully your little one will want to come out on her own and meet you and Mark! I'm sure if you have to be induced, that you will only have to have the Cervidil and your body will take over! I'll be praying for all 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!!! THat is so exciting Shannon!! God has a plan for that little girl and I always remind myself, God has a reason for everything! My friend was scheduled to be induced just like you. She was supposed to go in at eight. Well as we have learned, Alex had her own plan and came around 4 that morning. No induction needed!! I'm so excited for you, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are sooooo close to meeting your sweet little girl. How exciting! I am really hoping she comes before your induction, or that maybe you'll go in for it and already be in labor and won't need to be induced. (I went to the hospital in labor and they gave me about 10 hours before they started pitocin to see how I progressed on my own.) Soooo maybe, maybe, hopefully she'll want to come before then!! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My prediction of Oct. 21st may come true. Just remember the outcome of all of this is worth the trip getting there. I am praying that you have a safe and pain controlled delivery. You will do well with your great attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't look at induction as a failure/negative at all. Whatever is meant to be will be and I can't wait to hear your happy news. I've been checking on your blog daily to see if she's made her arrival yet and I will continue to do so. Just focus on that final outcome....get your motivation from that first sweet moment you lay eyes on your beautiful daughter. It'll get you through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang in there Shannon. It will all be worth it when you see her sweet face. Promise. Natural birth with Pitocin is possible, don't let anyone tell you different! :) You are a strong, capable, beautiful woman who was made for this! I'll be praying for you. I requested a "natural-friendly" nurse who wouldn't bug me, and that paid off MAJOR. She let me be off the monitor even tho I was on pit, and she left me alone most of the time. Just a thought. Love to all of you from the McDaris family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very happy that you will be holding that sweet baby girl this weekend. Glad your wise about your health and accept that sometimes you got to do what you got to do. Your family will be complete very soon. Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Long walk, sex with hubby, raspberry tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear ya on not wanting pitocin to make it's way into my daughter's birth story. However, it did. 10 days late, I was in the situation you find yourself in - it was best for everyone's health! Hang in there. I read this a few days late and it is now Thursday evening so who knows, perhaps she decided to come without the pitocin!!! If not, I hope you have a safe and quick delivery!!!

    ReplyDelete