Saturday, June 26, 2010

cloth diapering - do I have this right?

Oh, I know you know that we know we'll be cloth diapering.

(Did you get that?)

It seems a speck of a tad overwhelming to a newbie cloth diaperer. I mean, there's washing. And drying. And stuff. I've researched my little heart out to make absolutely sure that I know what I'm going to do. And I think I've finally figured it out. I think.

So we'll be buying 15 FuzziBunz cloth diapers (we have 5 others - a total of 20 diapers).

really cute kid in a FuzziBunz


So, with FuzziBunz, you stuff this little insert:


inside each diaper. When my baby girl wets her diaper (or worse...), I'll unsnap it and toss it in a garbage can, lined with a garbage bag (my homemade diaper pail). Then I'll shake some baking soda on top. Depending on how often she dirties a diaper, I'll either wash the diapers every day or every other day.

While she's solely on breastmilk, I can toss all her dirty diapers right into the washing machine with no hassle. Breastmilk poop is water soluble, and this is really how it's supposed to be done. I'll do some combination of a soak, pre-rinse, and a regular wash cycle. Then I'll dry them or hang them to dry, depending on the time of year.

And that's it. When she's younger, she'll dirty more diapers. And, as she grows, she'll be able to "hold it" for longer and longer. So, really, I won't be adding much laundry at all. And, with a little bit of practice, it will all come second-hand.

Most people turn their nose up at cloth diapers and envision the nastiest poopie diaper in the world. But, uh, trust me, the disposable diapers are JUST as nasty. I could have gagged last week when changing a few diapers.. :)

I've read different people say that they soak them at night while everyone's asleep, and then they begin a new load when they wake up. So maybe I'll try that. It will take some "adjusting to" in the beginning, so we'll be using Pampers Swaddlers for about three weeks. I'll slowly ease into CD-ing, develop a routine, and then it'll be a sinch.

Caaaaan't wait!! There's no contest -- cloth diapered bums are WAY cuter than regular dispoables! Our sweet girl will be absolutely adorable -- not butts about it :)


Edited to Add: The "garbage can" I refer to is really a diaper pail. I'll pull out each insert as I toss it in the pail and then wash it all together. The inserts are 4 layers of microfiber and soak up urine amazingly well! :)

1 comment:

  1. You'll do great! I know you will! Once you do it for a few days you'll be a pro. It really doesn't take that long to get adjusted. I cloth diaper like it's no big deal and am surprised when people comment on them. I forget I even do it since it's so second-nature! You'll love it. :)

    ReplyDelete