Thursday, March 4, 2010

CONCERT!

Yesterday, I started getting a craving to attend an orchestra concert. I was listening to Jupiter (by Gustav Holst) and Adagio for Strings (Samuel Barber), two of my most favorite classical pieces of all time, and I was itching to go to a concert.

But then my friend Traci told me about a big Christian concert that was happening in ONE hour!

Oh my.
So I researched it, got the directions, and asked Mark if we could go. He said yes, so we were on our way!

Then we encountered a bunch of traffic. Because trying to get through the under water tunnel at rush hour is a mess. But we finally made it to the big, huge arena!

Sigh. It was simply amazing. Fireflight, Sidewalk Prophets, Tenth Avenue North, Newsong, Newsboys, and Kutless. I'm unsure if Third Day played at the very end or not, because we left a smidge early. It was getting late, and we're old.



So you can imagine my confusion (maybe) when I saw Michael Tate, from DC Talk, come out with the Newsboys. And even more-so when he sang the Newsboys' songs. But he was SO super good. And then he did it:

He went a little old school and brought back Shine and then Breakfast.. two of my most beloved songs from the 90's. I couldn't believe it!

Then (and this is for my sister), you won't believe what he did. He called out all the freaks in the audience. And he did it. He performed Jesus Freak. The whole thing. And then flew from the ceiling. I can't even make this stuff up!

We had SO much fun at this concert!!! Going to a "Christian concert" is a unique experience, because it's unlike any other concert you'll go to. It's more like 5 hours of worship, really. And it's really, really neat to sit and watch teens (and adults and children) raise their arms up and sing to God. Seriously like thousands of people singing "Glory, glory, hallelujah, He reigns" at the same time is pretty amazing :) And, of course, it's the only type of concert with lots of prayer and preaching of the Gospel!


So it was a great time all around. In July, David Crowder band (MY FAVORITE), Chris Tomlin (2nd favorite!), Casting Crowns, and so many more, are coming to Virginia. We *can't wait* .. The concert is held at Kings Dominion, a big huge theme park, so our tickets INCLUDE the theme park AND the water park! What a fun time!


So I'll leave you with these lyrics from Jesus Freak. You can guess which man of the New Testament they're singing about :)


Kamikaze, my death is a gain
I've been marked by my Maker
A peculiar display
The high and lofty, they see me as weak
Cause I won't live and die for the power they seek

There was a man from the desert with naps in his head
The sand that he walked was also his bed
The words that he spoke made the people assume
There wasn't too much left in the upper room
With scabs on his back and hair on his face
They thought he was strange by the locusts he ate
You see, The Pharisees tripped when they heard him speak
Until the king took the head of this Jesus freak


No comments:

Post a Comment