Tuesday, May 19, 2009

should I be embarrassed?

so I was looking at a map of the US, and I was shocked to find that Kentucky touches Virginia.

yep! I'm a college graduate. Should I be embarrassed? I really lack the skill of visualizing states in my head.



Then I decided to do a little bit more research about my new homeland, since I obviously need to. So I found the state song. And, I regretfully admit, their song way out-does Kentucky's! I especially like the corn and tatoes part. And "Virginny"? That's just really cute. Why don't we have a cute name for Kentucky? Like.. Tuckey. Or Something. Really now.


Carry me back to old Virginny,
There's where the cotton and the corn and tatoes grow,
There's where the birds warble sweet in the springtime,
There's where the old darke'ys heart am long'd to go,
There's where I labored so hard for old massa,
Day after day in the field of yellow corn,
No place on earth do I love more sincerely
Than old Virginny, the state where I was born.

CHORUS

Carry me back to old Virginny,
There's where the cotton and the corn and tatoes grow,
There's where the birds warble sweet in the springtime,
There's where this old darkey's heart am long'd to go.

Carry me back to old Virginny,
There let me live 'till I wither and decay,
Long by the old Dismal Swamp have I wandered,
There's where this old darke'ys life will pass away.
Massa and missis have long gone before me,
Soon we will meet on that bright and golden shore,
There we'll be happy and free from all sorrow,
There's where we'll meet and we'll never part no more.


The state drink is milk. And the state dance is the SQUARE DANCE!

I'm liking this state already.


It was brought to my attention that we will only be 2 short hours from Outer Banks, North Carolina! - Which is one of the top beaches on the east coast. Naturally, I'm already planning our first vacation. Or we could just drive to Outer Banks for the day, and then come back! But that doesn't seem as fun as renting a cute condo for the week.


And, hey, does anyone know why they say Virginia Is for Lovers? I don't get it. Am I missing some big joke?


No news on housing for us! But we've taken the initiative and have started looking on our own through a military housing website. We've found some apartments that we like. We've heard some bad things about Hampton. Like - never send your kid to a school in Hampton. But we don't have kids. There is supposedly a lot of crime in Hampton. So... we are looking at living in Yorktown or Newport News or Norfolk. The size of this whole area is about 3 Nashvilles! There are plenty of apartments; it's just a matter of finding them.

Of course, living in Hampton is much cheaper. It's just a less fancy part of the area & it has more crime. But the apartments are about $500 a month cheaper there. So... risk my life and save some cash? I don't know... I will let you know by the end of the summer!


In other news, I am only 2 days away from leaving for Sheppard Air Force Base. I've never traveled totally alone for an entire trip. So this will be... an adventure. I totally can't wait. You really have no idea. After this, I'll get to see PM once a month!! I can't even fathom it.


What's it like to live with your spouse, huh huh!!? I can't wait to find out!

Whew, we are CRAZY for each other! We are about to jump out of our skin. It's great!


Seriously, don't feel sorry for us for a second. This is one big adventure for us, and we're saving loads of money, AND we're moving to Virginny soon! And then we arrive, I will sing the song and belt out the verse about corn and tatoes. It will be fabulous. I can't wait to blog about it.






7 comments:

  1. Outer Banks is J's homeland. It's spectacular and you will never want to leave.
    There's no joke to the Virginia is for Lovers. VA is just such a diverse state with mountains and beaches and lots of history (Mom and Dad's honeymoon was in Williamsburg) that if you are a lover of anything (mountains, art, etc) you will love Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Meaghan, do you know what the "best" beach at Outer Banks is? I went to the official website, but there was a list of different beaches. and then there's 3 separate areas: northern beach, hatteras island, and roanoke island. i have no clue.

    and I can't believe J left paradise to come to Kentucky. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they get put back in Phase 3 yet?! Isn't today the day that they would be out of trouble??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Pagiey, you remembered! You're so great :] I love you!

    and he is *supposed* to go back to Phase 3 today! But I can't talk to him until about 6pm, so I don't know! I wish he could have his cell phone with him, but he can't :[ hmph.

    He turned in his paper to have permission to be at the hotel with me this weekend. We aren't sure when he gets his paper back. Keep your fingers crossed that they allow it!! That would be pretty tragic if he couldn't come to the hotel. Ahem. If you know what I mean.

    Anyhow, I will DEFINITELY update everyone on the news tonight! And I have a few new pictures of Mark to put up.

    And yall just wait.. I will be posting actual pictures of us TOGETHER after this weekend!! I can't wrap my brain around the idea! Insane!

    I'm gonna jump his bones... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh!! I can't wait to hear the *GOOD* news! Sending good news vibes your way and keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Hotel time is a MUST, they better get that back to him ASAP!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoo! We're 2 days away from moving! You'll be on a plane while we are loading and driving our U-Haul up the interstate. I'm trying to catch up on all the blogs I've gotten behind on. Since Friday! Our internet has been down since Friday, and I got realllly sick on Monday and went to the ER.:/ So, I'm catching up and trying to rest so I can be better and ready to move on Friday. We'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jarred and I like Bodie Island, which is where Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head is. J likes the Wright Brothers history stuff and I like the shopping and the lighthouses there.
    But if you want 'beach' expereince, go to Hatteras Island.
    And he left NC paradise because there is too much red tape over departments there. He thought he would have better luck here, but none so far.

    ReplyDelete