Wednesday, July 22, 2009

red velvet madness!

Today I decided to whip out our Artisan KitchenAid Mixer and give it a whirl to see how she did. She was awesome! I felt just a little bit like Martha Stewart as I dumped the ingredients in and watched the beater go! It was great.

I've provided lots of pictures for you visual learners out there! I'm always thinking of you!



The concoction for the day was a 3-tiered red velvet cake from scratch. I have lovingly included the recipe here:

1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortening

2 c sugar
4
eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda

1/4 t salt

4 T cocoa

1 c buttermilk

1 t vanilla

4 T red food coloring



In a large bowl (or mixer), combine: butter, shortening, & sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa in a separate bowl - then add to the buttery mixture and alternate with adding the buttermilk. Finally, add vanilla & red food coloring.


Blend & pour into 3 greased & floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 25-30 mins (Note: We only baked it for about 18 minutes or so!). Cool cake and make icing.


Cream cheese frosting is always the best way to go for a red velvet cake. To prepare it, combine: 1 stick of butter, 1 package of cream cheese (NOT fat-free), and 1 package of sifted confectioner's sugar.

Note: I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese, AND I used margarine. Bad choices. My icing was a tad runny, and that was annoying. But it was still delicious!

Dye coconut red and sprinkle on top. Or dump a ton of it on top like I did! Because I love coconut.



Marvel at the beauty you've created. Taking pictures and blogging about it is totally optional... but definitely recommended.


Clear out all the JUNK you have crammed in your refrigerator place your cake in the refrigerator to let it become firm and cool.

Sit impatiently for a little while. Jump out of your seat, walk into the kitchen, and carve out a perfect slice.


Place a large piece on a fancy dish paper plate, wish your husband was here to taste it, and dig in.



This recipe is calorie-free. It contains no fat, no calories, and is just CHUCK FULL of flavor!*




*This statement has not been approved by the FDA.




3 comments:

  1. RED VELVET CAKE IS MY FAVORITE!!!! Yours looks sooo yummy! I never thought of the food-colored coconut on the top. Mmmm...will this make an appearance at your going-away party? I sure hope so!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!


    and shannon, remember what we said about the festive cake. we could so make it work at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, guys! so far the red velvet cake is NOT on the menu for the party. sorry!!! it tastes best in my KitchenAid mixer, which blends the batter perfectly. and I really don't have the time or money to put it together. The red food coloring alone is $4, and it calls for buttermilk. BUT if either of YOU TWO want to make it, feel fee ;] haha.

    so far the menu is...

    -hot dogs
    -hamburgers
    -potato salad
    -baked beans
    -chips
    -fruit skewers (alternating 1 strawberry, two blueberries, and two banana slices to represent red, white, and blue!)
    -cake that I'm ordering specially for Mark
    -brownies
    -????

    ..any other suggestions? Mark's suggestions were: lasanga, french fries, steak. umm I DON'T THINK SO. lol!! anyway, what do you guys think?

    I haven't actually ordered Mark's special cake. I could ask her to make it red velvet, I guess.. ? I'm ordering it from sugar bakers. however, Mark loves chocolate. so idk if he would be up for making the cake red velvet! I'll have to see!

    ReplyDelete