Thursday, June 4, 2009

the ironic truth about me in high school.

When I was a senior in high school, we had something called Swamp. My high school mascot was a gator, so this was a clever little name for 30 minutes of scheduled reading time each day. It also served as our home room.

I loved Swamp- because, well, I love reading. And I also loved talking nonstop. It was a great time to socialize. Anyway. Back to the story.

During my senior year, my Swamp teacher was the Navy instructor who taught JROTC at our school. He always wore his adorable little white uniform. He was bald. It was funny. Ahem. Anyway, he loved to use his Navy-recruiting ways on us high schoolers.



Once a week, at least, he would try to recruit one of us to the Navy. He showed us videos. He passed out brochures. He gave us speeches about why we should join the military.

He laid it on thick. He told us every stinkin benefit of joining the military - from free college education to great health insurance. None of this phased me, however.

See, in high school, I was a major bandie. My life revolved around music. I practiced non-stop. I took lessons. My parents bought me an outrageously-priced clarinet. Top of the line. I was obsessed. So, my clever little teacher brought someone in to talk to me about joining the Navy Band.

I laughed in his face.

"Me?! In the military?!?! Why, you must be out of your mind! The military is.. gross. Only weird people join the military. I mean, EW. I can't stand the military!! Nope, not for me!"



If I had only known what would my life would be like 4 years later. I mean, really. Isn't that ironic? I was actually pretty mean about it. I clearly told him my negative opinions of the military.


Now... isn't the correct phrase you can Eat Your Words appropriate for this story?


I was set in my ways about NOT having anything to do with the US Military as a senior in high school. Then, as a senior in college, I MARRIED the US Military. How about that.



2 comments:

  1. Hehehe, I remember you telling me this story.:]

    So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. irony makes me laugh.

    ...not at your expense, but you know.

    ok, insert foot in mouth.

    ReplyDelete