Sunday, September 13, 2009

on the road & while in Virginia: two posts in one.

Fourteen hours. What a hideously long trip. Although an easy trip to drive, the distance is almost unbearable. I had never been to those parts of the country. And by "those parts," I mean hideously redneck with NO civilization. With hideously small towns with no gas stations or bathrooms or anywhere to stop the car. Hideous roads that were ONE lane with NO homes in sight, unless you count the various random abandoned trailers. Did I mention that it was all hideous? Because it was.

One might think that a dog could pee anywhere. Well, you're wrong. She would wake up and have to pee, and we would take an exit - only to find that it looks like something out of a horror movie. Like, seriously creepy. Mark actually said, "If I find a dead body, I'm not reporting it." I should have taken a picture of these creepy spots, but our camera was shoved in the back.

Anyway, some of the scenery was really fabulous. I took pictures just for you.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket




---------------------------------


Today we visited Buckroe Beach, where dogs weren't allowed. Although we saw two dogs on the beach, we decided to play it safe and I just ran out to take pictures. Hopefully we will soon find the dog beach so Piper can meet the ocean for the very first time!

Our new city has light houses. How crazy is that?


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Afterward, we decided to tour the Sandy Bottom Park. It was very.. forresty.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Piper looks like a goof ball, doesn't she?


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Piper is so freakin cute, it just about kills me. She is currently laying on our bed at my feet just being the best dog ever. This morning, she annoyingly woke up at 5:30am Central time. Like, way too early. After Mark took her out, we let her roam the hotel room and eventually let her climb in bed with us (something she has never done). We only did this because I woke up with a ginormous headache and I could barely move. She curled up between my legs and slept until 9:00am. What a dream doggie :]

------------------------

This morning, when I went to take a shower, I looked down at my stomach and noticed something attached to me with a big red ring around it on my skin. Mark was out with Piper, and I *freaked out* ... I ran to the door and cracked it open and screamed "MAAARRRRK!!!!!!!" like a lunatic. Finally he heard me and came running with Piper!! I had him inspect it, and it turned out to be a TICK!! A tick was burying itself inside me. I couldn't even get it off, so Mark had to pluck it off really hard. I was like a mess by this point. It even left a red spot on my stomach that STILL hasn't diminished!!

Ugggh how disgusting. That tick better not have been carrying lime disease. Grody. I hate bugs like none other. Especially bugs that like to get in me. *shivers* ... We imagine that it got on me while we stopped in the country to let Piper pee on the way to Virginia. GROSS. Plus, it was in the very middle of my stomach.. not even close to where my t-shirt ended. It must have.. crawled up my stomach.. *gag* ...

--------------------------

Now Mark is out with his sponsor - figuring out where to go tomorrow on base to check in and everything. I am very very anxious about moving in on Tuesday. We cannot wait!!! Love you all bunches :)


4 comments:

  1. Yay for another update! :D With pictures...so pretty!

    That is so disgusting about ticks. You're probably right that you got them in eastern Kentucky, ticks are bad now HERE. So yeah. Big possibility. Icky!

    Missss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so very excited about your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we drove to williamsburg Va to visit his parents and took the "southern route" through the south part of the states-- NEVER AGAIN!!! I swear it was like out of the movie 'Deliverance' a half naked skin head passed us on his 4 wheeler with shotguns strapped on the back of it and flipped us off... nice! We now go through Lexington, over to Charleston WV, through the middle of Va to Richmond and then drop down the Penninsula to Wmsburg- and you'd just keep going to go over the bridge/tunnel and pop out right where you need to be!! Lots of rest areas and nice places to stop- MUCH better than the way you guys went! I am SO excited that you're there and exploring- LOVE the pictures of your new place- and if you have your address and know for sure that that is the place you'll get, you may be able to call and set up for your cable to be connected before you're actually in... then you'll be all set! Have fun- don't worry too much about the tick bite- they can stay red and nasty looking for a few weeks, that's normal-but keep an eye on just to be safe!! Miss you- church wasn't the same with out you!! = ( But, I was happy knowing that you guys are in Va, and together!! = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. we actually did go though the Lexington route. we changed our minds at the last minute. But.. it was still bad in some parts!!!!! Once, the *only* spot to stop was at this gravel driveway where a chain was put up with a "No Trespassing" sign and it looked FREAKY. Mark was reluctant to even stop there. It looked like straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Creepy... We're going to go to the housing office tomorrow to tell them we're here and once they OFFICIALLY say we're in that house, I guess we can call the cable people then. We just have to sign the contracts and stuff Tuesday. Anyway, yay!

    ReplyDelete